New to Arizona

Select a Service for Quick Access

New to Arizona

One of the first items on your to do list as you get settled into our great state will be to obtain an Arizona Driver License and title and register your vehicles. Arizona Auto License Service is an Authorized Third Party, contracted by Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) to provide motor vehicle services.

Currently ADOT Motor Vehicle Division state offices are limited in services offered and are appointment only.

AZ AUTO does not require appointments and walk in customers are serviced in order of arrival. The hours we are open vary by location. Two locations offer evening hours. Convenience fees shall apply.


If your vehicle was registered in another state and you wish to operate it in Arizona, you must register it as soon as you become an Arizona resident.

To title and register your out-of-state vehicle, you will need an out-of-state title (or registration, if title is held by lienholder), a lien clearance, if applicable. An emission test compliance form (Phoenix and Tucson areas only) if required.

More information regarding emissions is found on our Vehicle Title & Plates page including the link for locations to get your emission test completed. This emission test is required prior to registering your vehicle in Arizona.   

Vehicles that are model year 1967 through 2015 require emissions if you live in Maricopa or Pinal County and more than 5 years old require emissions.

If you have a leased vehicle, a Power of Attorney from the lessor (original or certified copy) is required along with your current out of state registration. Contact your lessor to obtain this original notarized form.

Arizona Resident Definition

State law requires that you obtain an Arizona vehicle registration and driver license, immediately if any of the following apply:

  • You work in Arizona (other than for seasonal agricultural work).
  • You are registered to vote in Arizona.
  • You place children in school without paying the tuition rate of a nonresident.
  • You have a business with an office in Arizona that bases and operates vehicles in this state.
  • You obtain a state license or pay school tuition fees at the same rate as an Arizona resident.
  • You have a business that operates vehicles to transport goods or passengers within Arizona.
  • You remain in Arizona for a total of seven months or more during any calendar year, regardless of your permanent residence.

Out-of-state students enrolled with seven or more semester hours, are not considered Arizona residents, regardless of employment.

Active duty military personnel based in Arizona who qualify for exemption under the Service Members Civil Relief Act of 2003 are not considered Arizona residents.


Drivers License

Effective October 1, 2021, only the Arizona Travel ID (driver license or ID card), a U.S. passport and other federally approved identification will be accepted at TSA airport security checkpoints(link is external) for domestic travel. 

Proof of Identification, Age and Authorized Presence

Social Security Number

You are required by A.R.S. §§ 28-3158(D)(5) and 28-3165(F), under the authority of 42 U.S.C. §§ 405(c)(2)(C) and 666(a)(13)(A), to provide your Social Security number. It will be used to verify your identity and to comply with federal and state child-support enforcement laws. It will not be used as your driver license or identification card number.

Identification Requirements

If you provide a valid driver license from another state, written and road tests would not be required.

Click on the link below for the detailed requirements for a Travel ID (This is called a Real ID in many states with a Gold Star. If your out of state license has a Gold Star or is a REAL ID you will still need the 4 documents in addition to your out of state driver license) 

Categories of identification documents are listed below with examples of qualifying documents. 

  • Bring One Document: Proof of Identity (Birth certificate; U.S. Passport; Passport Card)
  • If you need a certified copy of an Arizona birth certificate, the Arizona Department of Health Services now accepts online orders(link is external)with expedited processing.
  • Bring One Document: Proof of Social Security Number (Social Security card; W-2 form)
  • To order a replacement Social Security card visit the Social Security Administration website(link is external)and establish an account.
  • Bring Two Documents: Proof of Arizona Residency– two printed documents with your current Arizona residential address (Utility bills; Credit Card / Bank statements; insurance policy)
  • Note: If your current legal name is different from the one shown on a document, you must show legal proof of name change, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order.

Those who don’t have the required residency documents must complete an Arizona Residency Affidavit(link is external)and supply additional proof of residency. Only one of the two documents may be an Affidavit, and it does require a notary (which we can do as MVD Agents) of the person who would sign the affidavit.  

Click below on Voluntary Travel ID for more details regarding ID REQUIREMENTS. You may decide to get a Non-Travel Driver’s License. Please review the details in the ADOT Identification Requirements below.