I Just Moved to Arizona. Now What?

Moving to a new state can be very exciting! It can also be overwhelming when you aren’t sure of what your next step should be once you’ve gotten settled in your new place. One of the very first things you’ll need to do after moving to Arizona is to stop by an Authorized ADOT (Arizona Department of Transportation) location to get your new driver’s license, and title and register your vehicles.

Becoming an Arizona Resident

In order to qualify as an Arizona resident, you’ll need to have an updated driver’s license in the state as well as vehicle registration through Arizona. The best way to determine if you qualify as an Arizona resident is to see if you meet any of these criteria:

  •  You work in Arizona (seasonal agricultural work not included)
  •  You’re registered to vote in Arizona
  •  You have children in school but don’t pay nonresident tuition
  •  You have a business office based in Arizona with vehicles that also operate in the state
  •  Your business operates vehicles that transport goods or passengers within Arizona
  •  You’re in Arizona for seven or more months during a calendar year

Out-of-state students that are enrolled with seven or more semester hours are not considered Arizona residents, regardless of employment. Additionally, active duty military personnel based in Arizona who qualify for exemption under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act of 2003 are not considered Arizona residents, either.

Registering and Titling Your Vehicles in Arizona

There are more than 40 state offices in Arizona where you can register and title your vehicles as well as obtain your new driver’s license, and there are more than 160 privately operated locations that are contracted with ADOT as Authorized Third Party providers of motor vehicle services, including Arizona Auto.

In order to title and register your vehicles in your new home state, you will simply need to bring a few items with you to one of our convenient locations:

  • Your out-of-state title (if your title is currently held by a lienholder, you may bring in your registration only)
  • If applicable, a lien clearance
  • If you have a leased vehicle, an authorization from the Lessor to register in Arizona
  • Proof of identification in the form of your Driver’s License

If you live in Phoenix or Tucson, you must bring an emission compliance form with you. Please note: vehicles 1967 and newer and more than 5 years old require emissions. If you have a leased vehicle, an original or certified copy of a Power of Attorney from the lessor must be brought as well. More information can be found on this here.

Great News! You Can Obtain Auto Insurance Through Arizona Auto!

Looking to find the best deal on auto insurance in Arizona? The friendly and helpful staff at Arizona Auto is here to help! Get your free quotes from providers like Progressive, Infinity Auto Insurance, Gainsco Auto Insurance and more all in one place. You’ll receive competitive quotes to help you get the best coverage at the best price.

Looking for more information? Contact us today!