Drivers License Services

Obtain, Renew or Replace An Arizona Driver's License or ID

Our Full-Service MVD Offers:

Instruction Permit For New Drivers

An Arizona instruction permit allows you to get driving experience supervised by a driver who is at least 21 years old and holds a driver license.

18+ Years Old

At the age of 18 you can apply for an Arizona driver license without obtaining an instruction permit. However, the instruction permit is recommended for those who want to practice driving with supervision. 

Anyone over the age of 18 is still required to take the written test in person to qualify for a driver license. There is no extra cost. Walk-ins are welcome or you can schedule an appointment for a written test.

If you are over 18 and have a class G License you should upgrade to a class D License.

Under 18 Years Old

Arizona residents 16-18 years of age must obtain an instruction permit at least 6 months prior to taking the road test and applying for a driver license.

Under 18 instruction permit applications will require a legal guardian(s) signature on application and to be present to sign and authorize.

An appointment is not required for an instruction permit and our wait times are short, but if you want to minimize your wait time schedule an appointment. AZ AUTO will take your picture, complete the form, administer the written test, and issue the instruction permit.

If you’re under 18 and in high school you can take the permit test at home.

Teenage Arizona drivers under 18 who need to take the written driver test to get an instruction permit can now take that test online with appropriate supervision. You will need to come to AZ AUTO to have the permit issued after testing with the correct documents.

Permit Test @ Home is available for parents or legal guardians to administer after setting up their free, personalized account on MVD’s portal, AZ MVD Now.

Vision Exam

If you wear prescription glasses or contact lenses for distance vision, be sure to wear them. 

You must have uncorrected vision of 20/40 or better in at least one eye to obtain an unrestricted license. If you cannot meet this requirement without glasses or contact lenses, you will be given a license with a “B” restriction. The “B” restriction means you must always wear your glasses or contact lenses when driving. A test of visual field will also be given to check how far you can see to the side while keeping your eyes straight ahead.

Over 65 Years Old

If you are over 65 years old you must renew your driver license every 5 years and take both a vision test and new photograph.

In lieu of taking the MVD vision screening exam in our office you may take this form to your doctor.

Written Test

The written test for a regular driver license consists of 30 multiple-choice questions. Questions are taken from the Arizona Driver License Manual. Please thoroughly study the manual before taking the test.

A score of 80 percent or higher is required to pass the examination.

Verbal Test

A verbal knowledge test may be considered in lieu of the written test in these situations:

Road Test

All of our locations offer walk-in road tests. You can also schedule an appointment online. 

You will drive a test route that has a variety of traffic situations. An AZ AUTO examiner will ride with you in your vehicle and give you directions to follow. You will be observed and graded on specific actions and on your general ability to operate the vehicle safely. The vehicle will require a safety test completed by the AZ AUTO examiner.

Road tests may be suspended due to extreme weather or unsafe conditions.

Note: A parent or legal guardian will be required to accompany a teen driver under 18 who is applying for a driver license. No passengers are allowed during any road test.

What To Bring To Your Road Test:

New Driver License

New Driver License and ID Card Requirements as of May 2025

You will need a Travel ID endorsement to use your Arizona driver license or identification card at TSA security checkpoints as well as access restricted areas in federal facilities, nuclear power plants and military facilities. A Travel ID has the Gold Star in the upper right corner. 

AZ AUTO offers the same services as ADOT Motor Vehicle Services.

Required Documents For Obtaining A Travel ID

Categories of identification documents are listed below with examples of qualifying documents.

One Proof of Identity Document

Examples: Original or certified birth certificate; Unexpired U.S. Passport; Passport card

If you need a certified copy of an Arizona birth certificate, the Arizona Department of Health Services now accepts online orders with expedited processing.

Social Security Number (No document is required; it is now verified using the national database.)

To order a replacement Social Security card visit the Social Security Administration website and establish an account.

Two Printed Proof of Arizona Residency Documents with Your Current Arizona Residential Address

Examples: Utility bills; Credit card / Bank statements; Insurance policy

***Note: A physical residential address is required. A PO Box may be added to your license.

***Note: If your current legal name is different from the one shown on a document, you must show legal proof of name change, such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order.

Those who don’t have the required residency documents must complete an Arizona Residency Affidavit and supply additional proof of residency.

Why Do I Need a Travel ID as of May 2025?

The Arizona Travel ID is the credential that complies with the federal REAL ID Act of 2005. It is available as both a driver’s license and identification card. There is a gold star embedded in the card to show that the cardholder has provided added proof of identification to ensure the license or ID meets strict federal requirements.

For more information on the REAL ID Act, please visit the Department of Homeland Security website.

Note: Rules for international travel are unchanged, and a valid passport or equivalent will be required to travel outside the United States.

Driver License Renewal

Come in for a new photo and vision exam. You’ll leave with a temporary ID and your new license will be mailed to your home address.

Driver License Replacement

Come in iff your license has been lost, stolen or damaged.

Driver License Reinstatement

Come in if you have satisfied all of the outstanding requirements for license reinstatements.

Name Change

You are required by law to notify MVD of a name change within 10 days. MVD is required to verify your Social Security number before your record can be updated. Therefore, you must first contact the Social Security Administration for information on how to change your name in their records.

After you have changed your name with SSA, wait two days for their computer system to be updated. Then visit our office to present identification in both your new and previous names.

You must present an original or certified copy of one of these documents:

Address Change

Arizona law requires all driver license and identification card holders to report any change of address to MVD within 10 days. When you change your address on your driver license or ID, this will update any vehicles assigned to you.

If you have vehicles registered in Arizona, and are not a permanent resident, please visit us to update your registration.

For more information on the REAL ID Act, please visit the Department of Homeland Security website.

Note: Rules for international travel are unchanged, and a valid passport or equivalent will be required to travel outside the United States.

Commercial Medical Certification

Arizona requires all CDL drivers, including those in the military, to keep a current Medical Examiner Certificate on file with MVD. The Medical Examiner Certificate is to be renewed every 24 months or sooner, as determined by the medical examiner or by regulation. Failure to maintain a current certificate on file with MVD will result in the suspension and revocation of your CDL.

A courtesy expiration notice is sent to the driver 45 days prior to the expiration date. It is the responsibility of the driver to provide a new Medical Examiner Certificate on or before the expiration date of the document currently on file.

If you no longer wish to keep your CDL, come to one of our office locations and downgrade to a regular Class D operator license or Class M motorcycle license prior to the expiration of the current medical certification, to avoid suspension, revocation or both.

Commercial License Replacement

You may obtain a replacement commercial license when:

You must provide two acceptable forms of identification. If your name has changed, you will need to follow the procedures under the Changing Your Address or Name section.

Need help with your vehicle registration, title and license plates? Get all the info you need on our Vehicle Title & Registration Page.

Translate »