Registration & Tags

As an authorized third party MVD provider we're happy to assist you with registration and license plate services

Registration Renewal

AZ AUTO can renew registration on all vehicles. 

Walk out with your receipt, we will update your renewal in the MVD system and your new tags will be mailed. 

We can update your registration for your commercial vehicle’s GVW (gross vehicle weight) and avoid an expensive fine. 

How Do You Know When to Renew Your Registration?

Renewal notices are not always mailed, emailed, or received. You should check your plate tag to be sure when it is time to renew. Many vehicles are due on the 15th of the month instead of the last day of the month.


Newer vehicles are exempt from emissions testing for the first 5 years of registration*. Vehicles in Maricopa and Pima County require emissions testing.

Example for 2023: *Vehicle model years of 1967-2018 currently require emissions. This includes gasoline and diesel-fueled vehicles. Alternative fuel, flexible fuel (E85) and hybrid vehicles also require emissions. Some vehicles may require a different schedule. If unsure, call 1-877-myAZcar (1-877-692-9227) or visit

Not sure if you need emissions?

You may check any vehicle emission history with a VIN number at

Depending on the vehicle’s year and weight, emissions test frequency can vary from every 1 to 2 years. Diesel, one-ton vehicles and certain models require annual emissions.

Emission test locations and wait times are available at

Buying A Car

You have 15 days to get your new or used car registered. To do that, you’ll need:

Level One Inspections (On & Off-Site)

Vehicles that may require a Level I Inspection include VIN issues, homemade trailers, trailers or ATV’s without a title, cab & chassis, abandoned vehicles, bonded titles, non-operating vehicles, project vehicles being restored, and some other circumstances.

All of our AZ AUTO locations can complete Level I inspections.

Off-Site Inspections may be available depending on your home location or the location of the vehicle. To schedule an off-site inspection, contact us or come to one of our office locations with vehicle information to find out if you meet the requirements. Typically, you will need to be within 10 miles of our location and pay in advance.

Selling A Car

When you sell a vehicle you are required by law to:

Learn more about your responsibilities as a seller.

We can even issue you a refund on your plate if you are eligible.

License Plates

Arizona residents who are driving within the state need valid license plates for each of their vehicles. Those who are not using Arizona license plates are at risk of receiving fines or having your vehicle impounded.

If you have recently sold your vehicle, be sure and keep your plates when the car is given to the new owner. This will encourage the new owner to get the vehicle transferred quickly. We will check to see if you have a refund available and complete the Sold Notice.

License Plate Replacement

If your plate has been lost or stolen, contact us to replace it with new numbers and letters. 

Replace your current plate online at or in person at one of our office locations if it is damaged, deteriorated, or unreadable and you will get the same numbers and letters.

Personalized License Plate

Ever wanted your own personalized license plate? We’ll help you with the Special Place Application and process. View the specialty plate gallery for personalized plate options.

Disability Plates & Handicap Placards

Disability plates and placards can be ordered with an Individual Disability – Hearing Impaired Plate/Placard Application completed and signed by an authorized health care professional. If you already have a disability plate or placard, you will not need a new authorization unless it is a red temporary placard.

ATC & OHV Tags

Come in to any of our office locations to discuss the best type of license plate for your off-road vehicle.

Recreation Vehicle (RV) Plate – 100% off road, no insurance is required, and you are not allowed on any maintained roads. You would need to trailer the ATC/ATV to the location to ride.

Motorcycle (MC) Plate – Primary off-road or primary on-road. Insurance is required along with annual registration renewal. Effective January 1, 2009, all Off-Highway Vehicles under 2,500 GVW require the OHV Tag.

You will need to complete the Off-Highway Vehicle Decal Application when you register. Street legal requirements for the ATV or MC are:

Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) decals are valid for one year from date of purchase. Renew your OHV tag prior to renewing your registration. Always check the date of the OHV tag expiration as it may not be the same as your registration.

If you purchase a new ATV at a dealership, once you receive the plate and registration, we can change it from a RV plate to a MC plate. Most dealerships only issue RV plates.

The Arizona Game and Fish Department has more information on off-highway vehicles and the OHV decal. OHV Equipment Requirements for Arizona state parks & trails.

Abandoned Vehicle Inspection & Processing

AZ Auto can help you with an abandoned vehicle that has been left on your property. We are authorized to perform the necessary abandoned inspection.

Temporary License Plate Permit

A Restricted Use 3-Day Permit allows you to operate an unregistered vehicle.

You may need a temporary license plate if:

If it is necessary to drive a vehicle, the buyer or owner should obtain a Restricted Use 3-Day Permit. In some cases, we can issue you a temporary permit when the title work is incomplete or there is a problem preventing the issuance of license plates. Every vehicle is limited to the amount of permits available, so we can help you check if this is an option.

Vehicle & Drivers’ Records

New job prospect? Need a motor vehicle record? Want a vehicle record for a vehicle that you own We can print out your driving record for you. 

We can provide a personal record printout for your vehicles in minutes.

Translate »